Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Ottobre Kid Sewing

I had leftover fabric from my Burda top the other day and wanted to use it up right away.  I was able to squeak out a raglan bodice for T, leggings for K, and a pair of undies for K too, (along with my Burda top).  Now that was good use of 2.25 yards of fabric!

Ottobre 06/2013 #39 Raglan Tee


Mr. T hardly gets any sewing from me because he is in middle school now and he is"too cool" to wear any mom made clothes.  I've learned in the past that if anything is to be worn it must be as plain as possible.

I cut a straight size 152 for him.  I used the gray cotton lycra for the bodice and then some scraps I had left of the teal from an Ottobre top of mine for his sleeves.  I really just eeked out the bodice out of the fabric.

No issues sewing it up. Raglans are nice and fast gratification projects.  He said he liked it and wore it all day (at home).  We will see if it gets worn to school.  The neck tends to ride up in the back just a tad when he wears it but otherwise it looks great on him.

poor kid just woke up ;-)

Ottobre 04/2013 #30 Leggings


Miss K can always use leggings.  I was able to easily pop these out of the leftover gray fabric.  They sewed up fast.  I'be used this legging pattern a few times now (I think 4?) and I really like it.  The rise is a tad high on K but it covers her rear well and she doesn't complain (much) about these.


K did however gave me crap about how gray is not a good color for a girl and no one wears gray leggings.  The sass on that girl.  But then after I put them under her leopard dress you see pulled up here, she was fine with them.  Sigh.  Anyway, I used size 152 width, 146 in height. They are a bit long for growing room.


Ottobre 06/2013 #33 Undies

I had the tiniest amount of gray fabric left and cut out this pair of undies for K.  I really love the Jalie underwear pattern and so does K but I like to try new things so I tried these from Ottobre.  I used binding for the legs instead of elastic. with more of the teal scraps as you saw in T's Raglan.

I've been trying to get used to my binder attachment for my coverstitch.  I'm happy to say that these turned out perfect for me! Yay.  I wanted to make them a bit prettier so I added the owl stencil.  Well, that was a bad move.  The paint is "too scratchy" for K to wear them.  Crud.  Fit wise these are excellent and a great alternative to the Jalie undies.  I've made 2 other pairs before, but unblogged up until now because my binding stitches were so wonky from learning that attachment, lol.  K loves these and wears them as often as they are clean.  She won't wear any store undies anymore.


For the price of the binding attachment ($79) it is a useful tool.  It sure does make sewing on bindings soooo fast. It took me a small bit of time to get used to it and now it goes pretty smoothly. You can read more about that attachment if you want by clicking the pic here below. I think anything is useful if it makes sewing easier and faster ;-)


~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

14 comments:

  1. I just recently fell in love with their panties pattern. My daughter wears them anytime she sees they are clean and I love how they have good bum coverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Little Ella Lu for stopping by :) I feel like I can't keep enough clean for K! lol

      Delete
  2. Love the raglan and the undies! You can never have too many leggings. They seem to walk away and get hidden in our house too, which drives me nuts. I need to check out a binding attachment for my machine. It looks like the undies would be more comfortable that way instead of elastic. I have only tried elastic on the legs with underwear and it wasn't much of a favorite. I wonder if you could cut out a soft piece of t-shirt fabric and sew maybe a patch behind the owl? My daughter once had a really pretty store bought shirt with an applique that was too scratchy to wear, so I did that and it worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, I made a pair for myself to see if the binding was nice instead of elastic. We are all allergic to latex here (rashes) and almost all elastic has latex so they bug us. I found the binding to be nice and soft on the legs. I need to make sure to make the bindings smaller in circumference like elastic though. On this pair I didn't have any tension putting it on.
      and OMG I am so glad for your patch idea! I had just thrown the undies away right before I got your comment and ran to dig them out of the trash! LOL. I washed them of course, but I didn't even think to do that! Great idea. For silly K it is the top part with the paint that bugs her. I don't know how the heck she can feel that on her legs when she is wearing pants but whatever ;-) I'll stick a nice patch on and call it good. Thanks for the save!

      Delete
  3. Oh boy - I didn't even know that binding attachment existed, and now I have to have it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha. I am a collector of sometimes useful and sometimes useless sewing parts. This one is great though. :) Thanks Gail!

      Delete
  4. I love how gray and teal look together! The Raglan top looks great. I'm in the same boat with my son and as a result he doesn't get much sewn for him anymore beyond pjs.

    The undies look great and so do the leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! Me too :) They just went next to each other in the fabric pile and I was like "oh! I love that" hahaha. T is mostly pjs now too. so sad.

      Delete
  5. Using up every last bit is so satisfying especially when you can make such useful items....I bet the paint will soften with washing and will become favourites x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa! Using every last bit speaks to my frugal heart :)

      Delete
  6. Great looking shirt! The colors are nice, too.

    Poor K and her scratchy clothes ): My Molly is just like that. She refuses to wear socks!! But yay for mommas who can sew. And the grey leggings - they will match almost everything, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no socks!! omg. winter and socks are a must ;-)
      You think I'd learn on the scratchy clothes part. she isn't even the child with sensory perception disorder - but maybe she's picking that up now....
      Thanks Joy!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure the spd runs in families! Mine who *does* have a spd dx refuses to go without socks, haha.

      Delete
    3. LOL I'm one to always have socks too. I hate the feeling of stuff touching my feet; crumbs, dust, etc. Poor kid. I'm sure it does run in families.

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.